2.1 Supervisors' and Managers' Responsibilities
It is each manager's and supervisor's responsibility to:
- Encourage an employee who works at a computer workstation to take the online ergonomics training and implement all feasible recommendations.
- Request appropriate departmental training for high-risk employees.
- Require that employees report injuries, illnesses or discomforts regarding WMSD symptoms immediately using the Accident-Illness Report Form.
- Provide ergonomic workstation equipment and furniture.
- Restructure job tasks to reduce risk factors.
- Provide adequate recovery time by allowing employees engaged in highly repetitive tasks the opportunity for frequent and short breaks and alternative work activities.
- Integrate ergonomics into safety management for their department or work area.
2.2 Employees' Responsibilities
Employees' responsibilities are to:
- Report work-related injuries to their supervisors;
- Complete Accident-Illness Report Forms if symptoms are present, and forward to EH&S at J3-200;
- Adjust their workstations and equipment as outlined in the ergonomic guidelines (see Section 4, Office Furniture/Equipment Set-up and Section 5, Lab Set-up and Equipment) and contact EH&S for Ergononics online training.
- Perform simple exercises and stretches as recommended by EH&S and make effective use of recovery periods; and
- Take two-minute mini-breaks for every hour of keyboarding or performing another repetitive task.
2.3 Environmental Health & Safety Department (EH&S)
The EH&S Ergonomics Program is intended to:
- Reduce WMSDs at the Hutchinson Center;
- Provide guidance on modifying the workplace to minimize the potential for illness and injuries;
- Provide training for supervisors and employees;
- Evaluate individual and department workstations;
- Maintain documentation of completed evaluations; and
- Provide assistance and advice on the selection of ergonomically sound furniture and equipment.