Search Fred Hutch Extranet

12.13.1 Hazards of Highly Toxic Substances

Highly and dangerously toxic chemicals can be life-threatening upon exposure to relatively small amounts. The median lethal dose (LD50) for a highly toxic chemical is oral rat LD50 of between 1 and 50 mg/kg of body weight. Examples of highly toxic chemicals include: hydrazine, mercuric chloride, osmium tetroxide, white or red phosphorus, sodium azide, and sodium cyanide.

The median lethal dose (LD50) for a dangerously toxic chemicals is oral rat LD50 of less than 1 mg/kg of body weight. Examples of dangerously toxic chemicals include dioxin. Contact EH&S prior to ordering and handling dangerously toxic chemicals.

12.13.2 Handling Procedures for Highly and Dangerously Toxic Substances

Always use highly and dangerously toxic chemicals inside a chemical fume hood, externally vented biological safety cabinet or glove box. At a minimum, wear gloves, a lab coat and safety glasses. Be sure to follow the procedures found under Section 12.11, Carcinogens, or Section 12.12, Cytotoxic Agents, if appropriate.

12.13.3 Storage of Highly Toxic Substances

Store according to guidelines in Section 9, Proper Chemical Storage.

Highly and dangerously toxic chemicals should be labeled with a Highly Toxic or Dangerously Toxic label, identifying the chemical, handling requirements, and restrictions.

12.13.4 Disposal of Highly and Dangerously Toxic Substances

All contaminated liquid and solid waste must be labeled and collected by EH&S. See Chapter VI, Hazardous Waste Directory.

12.13.5 Emergency Response: Exposure

  1. Skin: Immediately remove affected clothing and flush contacted tissue with copious amounts of water for 15 minutes.
  2. Eye contact: Rinse eyes with copious amounts of water for 15 minutes. Hold lids open while rinsing. Seek medical evaluation.

Complete an Accident-Illness Report Form as soon as possible and mail to EH&S at J3-200.

12.13.6 Emergency Response: Spills

Small spills can be cleaned with a universal absorbent while wearing safety goggles, gloves and a lab coat.

For large spills (>200 ml), evacuate the lab and call EH&S for clean-up.